Oluibukun earned Bachelor’s degree from the Federal University of Technology, Minna, Nigeria with a First Class Honours and Master’s degree from the University of Lagos, Nigeria with Distinction, both in Surveying and Geoinformatics. He also holds a PhD in Surveying and Geoinformatics from the Federal University of Technology, Minna, Nigeria where worked as a lecturer for over 9 years before joining the Department of Land and Spatial Science in 2022 as a Senior Lecturer. He has won different research grants and has (co)authored over 50 scientific articles. He is the recipient of the prestigious Len Curtis Award 2018, which was jointly presented by Taylor and Francis Inc. and the Remote Sensing and Photogrammetry Society (RSPSoc), United Kingdom for an outstanding technical paper published in the International Journal of Remote Sensing, which was adjudged the best scientific paper published in the open literature of remote sensing during the year 2017. In 2018, He was a visiting scholar to the Faculty of Environment and Technology, the University of the West of England, Bristol, United Kingdom. He has received other numerous national and international awards including the dual 2021 Federal University of Technology, Minna Vice Chancellor’s awards for invaluable and exceptional contribution to the development of the University. He is also the recipient of the Professor Hilary Inyang National Young Scientist’s prize in Geoenvironmental Sciences, 2022, presented by the National Young Academy of the Nigerian Academy of Science.
- Registered Surveyor, Surveyors Council of Nigeria (2944)
- Corporate Member, Nigerian Institution of Surveyor (NIS/FM/2531)
- Individual Member, International Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing
Research Focus Areas
- Digital Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing Applications
- Geospatial Modelling
- Application of Artificial Intelligence in Geoenvironmental Sciences
Courses Currently Teaching
- Remote Sensing 2
- Programming for Geoinformatics
- Ajayi, O. G. (2022). Digital Elevation Models. In A. J. Kent & D. Specht (Eds.). The Routledge Handbook of Geospatial Technologies and Society. Taylor and Francis Inc. (Awaiting publishing).
- Ajayi, O. G., Kolade, T. S., Baba, M. (2022). Mapping and assessing the seasonal dynamics of surface urban heat intensity using LandSAT-8 OLI/TIRS images. In J. C., Egbueri, J. O. Ighalo & C. B. Pande (Eds.), Climate Change Impacts on Nigeria- Environment and Sustainable Development. Springers. (Awaiting Publication)
Selected Peer-reviewed Journal articles
- Ajayi, O. G., Opaluwa, Y. D., Ashi, J. and Zikirullahi, W.M. (2022). Applicability of artificial neural network for automatic crop type classification on UAV-based images. Environmental Technology and Science Journal. 13(1), 57-72. https://dx.doi.org/10.4314/etsj.v13i1.5
- Ajayi, O. G., and Oruma, E. (2022). On the applicability of integrated UAV photogrammetry and automatic feature extraction for cadastral mapping. Advances in Geodesy and Geoinformation (formerly Geodesy and Cartography), 71 (1). https://doi.org/10.24425/gac.2022.141172
- Ajayi, O. G., and Ojima, A. (2022). Performance evaluation of selected cloud occlusion removal algorithms on remote sensing imagery. Remote Sensing Applications: Society and Environment. 25, 1-17. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rsase.2022.100700
- Adesina, E. A., Musa, A., Ajayi, O. G., Odumosu, J. O., Opaluwa, Y. D., Onuigbo, I. C. (2021). Comparative assessment of SRTM and UAV-Derived DEM in flood modelling. Environmental Technology and Science Journal, 12(2), 58-70. DOI: 10.4314/etsj.v12i2.6
- Ajayi O.G., Ajulo J. (2021). Investigating the applicability of unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV) photogrammetry for the estimation of the volume of stockpiles. Quaestiones Geographicae 40(1), 25–38, https://doi.org/10.2478/quageo-2021-0002.
- Odumosu, J. O., Ajayi, O. G., Nnam, V. C., Ajayi, S. (2021). Achieving close range photogrammetry with non-metric mobile phone cameras. Geodesy and Cartography, 47(2), 71-79. Doi: 10.3846/gac.2021.12241.
- Ajayi, O. G., Samaila-Ija, H. A., Oyeboade, T. O and Adewale, T. J. (2020). Development of a UAV-based system for the semi-automatic estimation of the volume of earthworks. Reports on Geodesy and Geoinformatics. 110(1), 21-28. doi: 10.2478/rgg-2020-0008.
- Ajayi, O. G., Palmer, M., and Salubi, A. A. (2018). Modelling farmland topography for suitable site selection of dam construction using unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) photogrammetry. Remote Sensing Applications: Society and Environment 11, 220–230. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rsase.2018.07.007
- Ajayi, O. G., Nwadialor, I. J., Onuigbo, I. C., Kemiki, O. A. (2018). Automatic mosaic generation from overlapping image pairs using Maximally Stable Extremal Regions (MSER) Feature Algorithm. Geoplanning: Journal of Geomatics and Planning, 5(1), 63-74. doi: 10.14710/geoplanning.5.1.63-74.
- Omogunloye, O. G., Yaqub, M. O., Ojegbile, B. M., Odumosu, J. O., and Ajayi, O. G. (2018). An alternative choice in heighting. Geoinformatics FCE CTU (Faculty of Civil Engineering, Czech Technical University in Prague), 17(1), 45-60. doi:10.14311/gi.17.1.4
- Odumosu, J.O., Ajayi, O. G., Idowu, F. F., and Adesina, E. A. (2018). Evaluation of the various orthometric height systems and the Nigerian scenario – A case study of Lagos State. Journal of King Saud University – Engineering Sciences. 30, 46-53. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jksues.2015.09.002
- Ajayi, O. G., Salubi, A. A., Angbas, A. F., and Odigure, M. G. (2017). Generation of accurate digital elevation models from UAV acquired low percentage overlapping images. International Journal of Remote Sensing. 8-10(38), 3113-3134. https://doi.org/10.1080/01431161.2017.1285085
- Ajayi, O.G., Oluwunmi, A. T., Odumosu, J. O., and Adewale, T. J. (2017). Mapping and assessment of traffic congestion on major roads in Minna (case study of Chanchaga LGA). Geoplanning: Journal of Geomatics and Planning, 4(2), 171-186. doi: https://doi.org/10.14710/geoplanning.4.2.171-186
- Daramola, O., Olaleye, J., Ajayi, O. G., Olawuni, O. (2017). Assessing the geometric accuracy of UAV-based orthophotos. South African Journal of Geomatics, 6 (3), 395-406. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4314/sajg.v6i3.9.
Selected Peer-reviewed book of proceedings articles
- Ajayi, O.G., Ajibade, S.A. & Abdullahi, A.K (2021). Development of a geospatial information software for cadastral survey data processing and management. School of Environmental Technology International Conference, 3rd - 5th May, pp. F12 - F23.
- Isa, A.M. and Ajayi, O.G. (2021). Automatic extraction of farmland boundary lines from satellite imagery using fully convolutional networks – A review. School of Environmental Technology International Conference, 3rd-5th May, pp. F68 - F77.
- Agaie, I. A., and Ajayi O. G. (2021). Development of rangeland suitability spatial model for cattle ranching in north central Nigeria– a review. 1st Environmental Design Conference (EDUCON), Faculty of Environmental Design, Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria. pp 932-942.
- Ajayi, O. G. (2020). Performance analysis of selected feature descriptors used for automatic image registration. International Archives of the Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing and Spatial Information Sciences. Volume XLIII-B3-2020, 559-566. https://doi.org/10.5194/isprs-archives-XLIII-B3-2020-559-2020.
- Ajayi, O. G., Nwadialor, I. J., Odumosu, J. O., Adetunji, O. O. and Abdulwasiu, I. O. (2019). Application of geographic information system (GIS) and remote sensing in groundwater exploration: A case study of Bosso Local Government Area, Minna, Nigeria. NASGL Conference/AGM, Minna 2019: Exploring the Frontiers of Surveying and Geoinformatics for sustainable development. School of Environmental Technology, Federal University of Technology, Minna, Nigeria. February 4th – 7th. Pages 406-425.
- Ajayi, O. G., Bolarinwa, O. O., Odumosu, J. O., and Kuta, A. A. (2018). Fit -for -purpose cadastre: Development of a geospatial information software for digital land administration. Commonwealth Association of Surveying and Land Economics (CASLE) 2018 International Conference. Developing a sustainable professionalism in surveying & relevant education in the Commonwealth. Lusaka, Zambia. 29th Nov. - 1st Dec.
- Kuta, A. A., Ajayi, O. G., Osunde, T. J., Ibrahim, P. O., Dada, D. O., and Awwal, A. A. (2018). Investigation of the robustness of different contour interpolation models for the generation of contour map and digital elevation models. Contemporary issues and sustainable practices in the built environment. School of Environmental Technology Conference, SETIC, 10th – 12th April, Minna, Nigeria. Pages 1527-1541.
- Ajayi, O. G., Nwadialor, I. J., Onuigbo, I. C., Kemiki, O. A. (2017). Effect of camera calibration on the accurate generation of digital elevation models from UAV acquired low percentage overlapping images. Commonwealth Association of Surveying and Land Economy (CASLE) 2017 International Conference (Sustainable Development Goals: A time for innovation and investment in land administration and management), 10-11th August, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. Pages 108-120.
- Ajayi, O. G. (2019). Producing accurate 3-D Models from low percentage overlapping images acquired using UAV. Sensed, 73: 15-18. This is an invited guest article publication as the recipient of the 2018 Len Curtis Award of the Remote Sensing and Photogrammetry Society (RSPSoc). Sensed is a quarterly publication of RSPSoc. http://www.rspsoc.org.uk/images/SENSED/SENSED_201907_July2019_WEB.pdf
Selected Conference presentations & invited talks
- Ajayi, O. G., Baba, M., Alademomi, A. S., and Opaluwa, Y. D. (2022). Performance evaluation of non-parametric cameras for 3D reconstruction of buildings. 3rd National Association of Surveying and Geoinformatics Lecturers Annual Conference, held at National Space Research and Development (NASRDA), Obasanjo Space Center, Abuja, Nigeria, on 28th – 31st March.
- Ajayi, O. G., Samaila-Ija, H. A., Oyeboade, T. O and Adewale, T. J. (2020). Development of a semi-automatic UAV-based system for the estimation of volume of earthworks. A paper presented at the 28th SCEgeo Conference on Surveying, Civil Engineering, Geoinformation in Sustainable Development. Organized by the Faculty of Civil and Environmental Engineering and Architecture, UTP University of Science and Technology, Poland, June 2 – 10.
- Ajayi, O. G., Odumosu J. O., and Ajulo J. (2020). Comparative analysis of stockpile volume computation using conventional survey techniques and Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) Photogrammetry. A paper presented at the Second National Association of Surveying and Geoinformatics Lecturers Annual Conference, held at the Federal School of Surveying, Oyo, Nigeria, on 9th – 13th March.
- Odumosu, J. O., Nwadialor, I. J., Opaluwa, Y. D., Ajayi, O. G., and Nnam, V. C. (2020). Practical options for the re-definition of the Nigerian vertical reference system: A case study of Lagos State. A paper presented at the Second National Association of Surveying and Geoinformatics Lecturers Annual Conference, held at the Federal School of Surveying, Oyo, Nigeria, on 9th – 13th March.
- Ogunlesi, F. A, Onuigbo, I. C and Ajayi, O. G. (2019). Mapping and estimation of plant health using unmanned aerial vehicles- a review. Presented at the National Conference of the Association of Nigerian Geographers, 13th -17th October.
- Ishola, O. A, Onuigbo, I. C and Ajayi, O. G. (2019). Application of remote sensing and GIS in monitoring and estimation of crop health. Presented at the National Conference of the Association of Nigerian Geographers, 13th-17th October.
- Resource Person: 4th Harvest of Ideas (HOI) and National Conference of Young Surveyors Network, Nigeria held on 30th October – 1st November, 2019 at Ilorin, Kwara State, Nigeria.
Google Scholar: Google Scholar
African Scienctist's Directory: African Scientists’ Directory