Mr Thomas Moongo
Thomas earned his Bachelor of Engineering degree in Metallurgy, and a Master of Engineering in Industrial Engineering from NUST. He is currently studying towards an MBA specializing in Management Strategy with the Namibia Business School (NBS) at UNAM. He joined the Department of Mining and Process Engineering in 2020 as a junior lecturer and he was appointed as a Coordinator of the Metallurgy Programme as from 2021. He is registered as a Professional Engineer (Pr.Eng.) with the Engineering Council of Namibia (ECN) specializing in Extractive Metallurgical Engineering. He has hands-on practical experience in the Namibian mining industry especially in Mineral Processing, Hydrometallurgy and Electrometallurgy areas of specialty. Prior to NUST he has worked at Skorpion Zinc Mine and Tschudi Copper Mine as a Metallurgist-in-Training (MIT) and as a Process Engineer, respectively. He hold studied several certificates including project management, strategic business management, business finance, business risk management and many others.
Brief Career Summary
- 2021+, Metallurgy Programme Coordinator, DMPE, NUST, Namibia
- 2020+, Junior Lecturer, DMPE, NUST, Namibia
- 2018-2020, Process Engineer, Tschudi Copper Mine, Namibia
- 2016-2018, Metallurgist-in-Training (MIT), Skorpion Zinc Mine, Namibia
- 2015, Bursary Student & Intern, Skorpion Zinc Mine, Namibia
- Professional Metallurgical Engineer (Pr. Eng.), Registration Number: PE2213002, Engineering Council of Namibia (ECN)
- Associate Member, Membership Number: 708725, The Southern African Institute of Mining and Metallurgy (SAIMM)
Research Focus Areas
- Extractive Metallurgy
- Fourth Industrial Revolution (4IR)
- Strategic Management
Courses Currently Teaching
- MLS520S - Materials Science 124
- CHY610S - Chemistry 215
- TDN620S - Thermodynamics 225
- PPD710S - Process Plant Design & Economic 315
- ETP720S - Experimental Techniques for Process Engineers 324
- PTD720S - Process Thermodynamics 324
- PER820S - Process Engineering Research Project 420
- PED820S - Process Engineering Design Project 420
- Moongo, T.E. & Michael, S. (2020). Designing a continuous quality improvement framework for improving electrowinning current efficiency [Master of Industrial Engineering Thesis], Ounongo Repository, NUST.
- Moongo, T.E. & Michael, S. (2021). A continuous quality improvement framework for electrowinning current efficiency. The Journal of the Southern African Institute of Mining and Metallurgy (SAIMM). Johannesburg. South Africa. 121 (1).21-28. https://www.saimm.co.za/Journal/v121n01p21.pdf
- Nghipulile, T., Moongo, T.E., Dzinomwa, G., Nkwanyana, S., & Mapani, B., Kurasha, J.T. (2022). Relationship between the milling breakage parameters and mineralogical data: A case study of three copper ores. Minerals, an Open Access Journal by MDPI.
- Moongo, T.E. & Bello, F.G. (2022). Investigating strategies to achieve superior sustainable performance in the Namibian mining industry efficiency [Master of Business Administration Thesis, Namibia Business School (NBS), University of Namibia (UNAM).
Conference presentations & invited talks
- Moongo, T.E. (2016). A study of the effects of PLS aging variables on the solubilization of silicates from Skorpion Zinc ore [Conference presentation]. Mining challenges impacting the local industry: Overcoming Challenges Facing the Global Mining Industry, Namibia Minerals Industry Symposium (NAMIS), NUST, link: https://www.nust.na/?q=news/mining-challenges-impact-local-industry
- Musiyarira, H.K., Moongo, T.E., & Mlambo, N. (2020). Health and safety in Namibia’s mining sector – The global impact of COVID-19 [Conference presentation]. Mine Safe International Digital Conference 2020. The Australasian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy (AusIMM).
- Nghipulile, T., Maweja, K., Amwaama, M., Moongo, T.E., Mapani, B., Dzinomwa, G., & Kurasha, J.T. (2021). Effect of process mineralogy on grindability – A case study of copper ores. The 12th International Comminution Symposium (Comminution ’21), Minerals Engineering Conferences.
- Moongo, T.E. & Bello, F.G. (2022). Investigating strategies to achieve superior sustainable performance in the Namibian mining industry. Sustainable Development in the Minerals Industry (SDIMI), 10Th International Conference, The Journal of the Southern African Institute of Mining and Metallurgy (SAIMM).
- Moongo, T.E., Nghipulile, T., Dzinomwa, G., Fotolela, K., & Danha, G. (2022). A sustainable approach to the extraction of base metals from ore deposits with multi-mineralized zones – case study of a copper ore deposit in Namibia. Sustainable Development in the Minerals Industry (SDIMI), 10Th International Conference, The Journal of the Southern African Institute of Mining and Metallurgy (SAIMM).